Explore Tanzania with Kiroyera Tours
Almost 20 years on, we remain specialists in Kagera and the Lake Zone region, whilst offering exciting tour packages across the whole of Tanzania, into Uganda and Rwanda. Wherever you decide to go and whatever experience you decide to take, we promise that we will leave you with unforgettable memories of your travels in our extraordinary continent of Africa.
Kiroyera (‘Ekiro Kyere’) means “turn the dark day bright” and this is our commitment to you when we take you on one of our tailor-made tours across Tanzania and into our neighbouring countries.
Recognition Since 2004
- 2004: Millennium Tourism Award
- 2005: World Bank top ten Pan African Women Inventors and Innovators
- 2006: United Nations HABITAT Mashariki Innovations in Local Governance
- 2006: Winner of Tanzania ZEZE (Cultural Promotion Excellence)
- 2007: SNV/Zonal Governance award, Tanzania
- 2007: Tanzania Chamber of Commerce , SME sector ‘Service excellence’
- 2011: Tanzania Women of Determination – Mary Kalikawe
- 2012: Tanzania Women of Achievement (Business) – Mary Kalikawe
- 2017: Tourism and Leisure sector, Country and Regional Winner awarded to MD Mary Kalikawe in South Africa by CEO Global
What They’re Saying
Meet the Team
Corporate Social Responsibility
Through the promotion of community-based tourist activities, we seek to preserve Tanzania’s environment whilst providing opportunities for local people to feel valued, become self reliant and achieve financial security for their families. Our projects include:
- Heritage Initiative Kagera which is a non-profit, non-governmental organization helping to alleviate poverty among disadvantaged groups by: providing opportunities for growth; helping others to help themselves; encouraging community development, and promoting the natural environment and beauty of the region.
- Bukoba Disabled Assistance Project (BUDAP) which is committed to alleviating unemployment among the disabled (particularly victims of polio) by training and employing them in the production of handicrafts including traditional drums (ngoma) for retail.
- Kagera Museum which is the first and only regional museum privately run by Kiroyera Tours. Located in Bukoba it serves to educate local school children and international visitors on the heritage of the region.
- UYACHO Orphanage (Ummul Yatym Children’s Home for Orphans) which is a non-governmental organisation (est. 1998) of which Mary is a board member. It helps children, orphans and those living in vulnerable situations by providing shelter, food, school equipment and health care.
The orphanage was devastated by the 2016 earthquake but has now been rebuilt with the assistance of many people. Fortunately there were no injuries during the event. The baby who was sleeping inside the building was rescued by Bibi, the orphanage matron. Most of the children were outside playing when the earthquake happened. The older girl who was inside at the time got out safely. Please see our YouTube video.
Mrs. Mary Kalikawe, our Managing Director, is Chairperson of The Association of Women in Tourism Tanzania (AWOTTA)